History Upstairs in the churchs History Room is a rich collection of artifacts representing TTUMCs rich 150-year history.Prayer books, hymnals, photos of parishioners and ministers in this intimate setting offer glimpses into the parishs beginnings when the famous evangelist and opponent of slavery, Reverend Taylor, founded the church. Viewers can read about the original organization, called the First Methodist Church, as the congregation grew and new structures were envisioned then realized. Stories and photos of the devastating fire of 1923 demonstrate the wreckage of all but the outside walls. A different area of the collection presents newspaper accounts of another local established Methodist Church, called Santa Clara. Its parish formed in the 1880s and grew in numbers and faith until a 1972 fire destroyed their place of worship. Another chapter traces the discussions among leaders of both Santa Clara and First Methodist parishes resulting from the damaging fire and the decision to merge and worship together. Both congregations became one and a new name was christened for the parish, First Methodist Church.